Monday, August 13, 2012

Grandma Jeanne goes to jail on her birthday.

Let me start this out by saying I smoke marijuana. It makes me feel comfortable in a way no anti-depressants or pharmaceuticals can.  I am very discreet and I don't flaunt it.  I smoke at home and try to enjoy my days.

I am an Army veteran with a disability on my knees.  I  have hepatitis C and high blood pressure.  Marijuana calms me. I am unfortunate that I don't live in a state with medicinal marijuana.  I am in Mississippi.

On July 22, I went to work on my 58th birthday.  Towards the end of my shift, I was approached by some drug agents who said there was something going on at my house concerning my family.  They said they had reason to believe an acquaintance of mine had stored a large quantity of drugs at my house and could I come with them as I was the only member of the household in town at the time. (Family on vacation)

To keep things low-key and to not cause a scene at my employment, I made arrangements with my manager to leave.  As I was leaving, the agents asked me for my phone.  They said they would give it back when I got to the house.  I'm not knowledgeable in what my rights were in this case, so I gave it to them.  They let me drive my car and followed me to my house.  When I got there, I found they had gone through my text messages and found something they deemed suspicious.  They told me to let them in to search or I would be facing dire consequences if they broke down the door and found the drugs they were looking for.  I refused because I am only a renter of a room in the house and not the owner.  They went to get a search warrant while I waited with the other police for several hours.

The detective comes back with a warrant and wouldn't show it to me.  Only said that this was a judge's signature.  I let them in.  I had told them that I was a marijuana smoker, but only in small amounts.  As they searched, they found some weed which was about a quarter ounce.  They also found an amount of "legal herb" that I had bought online about 4 years ago and never threw away.  They called it spice.  It was not.  The stuff was what they sell with pipes when you buy them at a novelty store.  They said that was illegal in this state. They brought the drug dog in and went through the garage and house.  The one agent said he had no problem kicking the shit out of my dogs if they were not contained (which they were). 

After searching everything, everywhere.  They found two tiny seedlings of marijuana.  They never found any large amount they were looking for.  Mainly because it was a lie that was told to them by my acquaintance's girlfriend who he had just broken up with the night before.

However, they take me to jail and charge me with marijuana possession, possession of spice (later changed to cannabinoids (?) and with cultivation.  The cultivation is a felony.  The other two were misdemeanors. I was given a $25,000 bond.   I was in jail for two days and unable to take any of my prescription medication.  My blood pressure was through the roof by the time I got out.  Had I been in there much longer I probably would have had a stroke.

I have gotten out with help of family and have an outstanding lawyer.  I fear now I am unable to come up with the money to pay him.  I had no idea that a couple of tiny seedlings would be a felony charge.  I don't want to lose my right to vote.  It is very important to me.  I am of modest means and my restaurant job is not enough to bring in the amount of cash I need.

I am asking you for assistance.  I am attaching a Chipin widget in the amount of my lawyer fees to this post and any donation will be greatly appreciated.  I won't be able to pay you back, but I can pay it forward.  It doesn't need be a lot, but if enough people see this, it could help me tremendously.  I can keep everyone posted of what happens with this case by my blogging here. 

Thank you in advance and I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment